Sunday, February 5, 2012

The King's Madness

In the fifth chapter of The Greener Grass Conspiracy, the author refers to several lies in our life that we need to deal with. When we have discontentment in our lives it starts with all the sinful lies that we believe about ourselves, about God, the world, and anything else. The important thing to learn is to be able to recognize these lies as we encounter them.

There were several lies mentioned in this chapter.
LIE: God is withholding from me.
     Many times we ask God questions about why can't this happen to me or why can't I move up higher in the world of questions like this. When we don't get what we want, we blame God for withholding the good things from us. But in reality, God sent the greatest gift for us- His son, Jesus Christ. He gave us the best He had and didn't hold it back and not send anyone/thing to help us with our sin nature. He gave the best gift of all!

LIE: God owes me.
     Many times we think we are giving God things by serving Him in different ministries and come to the belief that somehow God owes us for that service. It's really the other way around- God is the creator of everything- and that including me and you- and He has power over us and we are the ones that owe Him. God doesn't owe us but He does give rewards when His servants obey Him.
Matthew 6:3-4 "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

LIE: If I get it, I'll be happy.
     So many times we think that if I just get what I want I won't complain anymore or ask for anything else. This is not true- "Because God loves us and wants us to find our satisfaction in Him, he won't allow us to be satisfies." I find myself thinking like this at times "if only...or if this happens...then I'll be happy" and true happiness doesn't come through things or through people but only from Jesus.

LIE: I know what's best for me.
     We need to realize that we are not the leader/ruler of our life. God is! God is our leader and will direct our life for us because He knows what the best for us is. David got it right in Psalm 23: 2-3 "He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. he restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake." If God let us lead our own lives, then who knows where we would end up at. I'm very thankful that God is in control of my life and is the leader of it. I just need to remember to let Him have the control of my life and stop telling him how to rule my life or what I "need". He is my heavenly Father and He already knows what I need so why try to counteract Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment