Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Some People Have to Learn the Hard Way

Somehow I skipped doing chapter 7, so here is chapter 7 notes/thoughts that I took when I read the chapter and a little summary. 

We don't wake up one day and are content in everything in our lives. We have to learn to be content and it takes times. And for me, time can be my worst enemy. I say I want it now and I don't want for it but as God has said good things come to those who wait. God is there to help us learn to be content with our lives and to find happiness in Him. God uses the circumstances in our lives to teach us contentment. We should evaluate our lives and look in the different areas to see where God is working and What He is communicating to us that we need to be more content in. It's not an easy thing to accept but with God's help it can be done.

"It's not enough for us to just take our circumstances, like we're taking a punch in the face. We won't learn true, blessed contentment if we grit our teeth and kick our way through life. Life isn't an Iron Man competition. Instead our circumstances should drive us to God and cause us to cry out for the strength to be content." I never really thought about it this way. Our circumstances that are hard on/for us are suppose to bring us closer to God and His grace and are not meant to be taken care by ourselves.

We tend to complain and mutter about our poor circumstances, but we should just go to God with them and we can find contentment in Him. The ultimate question is who do you run to when the horrible circumstances come into your life? Do you immediately turn to God? or do you look for comfort and relief other places? I know for me, I often look elsewhere first and then to God. This is a reminder to me that my first response needs to be God because He is truly the only one who can help us through it.

One question that stuck out to me was how do I view my circumstances? Am I looking at them as a blessing and a way to grow closer to God or am I just complaining and blaming God? I need to learn contentment and to lean on God's grace and His sufficiency for my life. God wants the best for me and will help me if I simply ask. I know recently I have been asking God for direction and contentment as to where I am in my life and taking it day by day, but trying to trust in His will and lean solely on Him. This is not easy but it helps to know God is always on my side and always will be because I am one of His children.

2 Corinthians 12:9 
"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

No comments:

Post a Comment